Monday, November 3, 2008

Stinky

Tomato leaves stink!
I was just rustling through the leaves to pollinate and almost choked and gagged from the strong , pungent smell from the disturbed foliage.

Turns out that the plants have something called GLANDULAR trichomes.
Somehow that sounds ...well...just plain wrong ..'glandular'. But..I am no botanist and it is a common part of plant life.

There are hair trichomes and then there are the glandular trichomes which give off scents when disturbed.


Pardon me , but I prefer the perfume-y kind anyday.

This new fact of life about glandular 'stuff' on my tomato plants just rained on my parade! Right now I am not in the mood for tomatoes on a salad.

Here is a picture of GLANDULAR trichomes on tomato plants:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hops vines have them as well, but they smell heavenly and give a hint as to what the beer is going to taste like when used.